[libvirt-users] Cannot create macvlan devices on this platform

Michael Hierweck team at edv-serviceteam.net
Thu Jun 21 09:25:13 UTC 2012

Hi,

libvirt (0.9.11) refuses to start KVM based virtual machines on my
system when changing the network connection from "host bridge" to
"direct" (macvtap/macvlan), neither in "bridge" nor in "vepa" mode:

"Cannot create macvlan devices on this platform"

That's astonishing because I can easily setup working macvlan devices
using the "ip" command: "ip link add link eth0 type macvlan".

Would someone help me figure out the reason?

Thanks in advance

Michael

--
EDV-Serviceteam Annika & Michael Hierweck GbR
Egerstraße 53, 44225 Dortmund (Germany)