[libvirt-users] where is the libvirt.xml ?

Osier Yang jyang at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 09:04:42 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 11:47 AM, suyi wang wrote:

> Hi all:
>        My OS is now Fedora16 , and the spice server is installed on it
> by rpms. Then I run 'qemu-kvm -hda /root/vaddsoft.img -m 512 -vga qxl
> -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing' , I want to find out where is the
> libvirt.xml for the command .  Well , I mean that the libvirt.xml is
> genrated automatically,  not by myself manually.
>       Wish your help! Thanks a lot!

If you start a guest with qemu command line directly, there
is no libvirt XML for it, libvirt doesn't try to manage
guest which is not created through libvirt API.

For a guest created through libvirt, and it's persistent,
the persistent XML is stored in /etc/libvirt/qemu/, and
the running state XML is in /var/run/libvirt/qemu/, and
you would see the generated qemu command line by libvirt
either by

# ps -ef | grep qemu

# cat /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$guest.log

Regards,