[libvirt-users] Host does not support virtualization type 'xen'

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 17:15:04 UTC 2012

On 03/14/2012 10:43 AM, Su Zhang wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
>  I successfully installed and run xen (xm list and xm info (but virt_caps
> only has hvm) can output appropriately).
>  However, while I was installing domU image by using virt-install -p at
> domU OS. I encountered an
> error information" Host does not support virtualization type 'xen' ".
> I built xen from source. Some of my friends have the same issue, but if
> they use pre-build xen, the issue will go away.
> However, I want to insist in using my version of xen (build from source).
> Does anyone can give any hint about this error?
>
> I asked the same question at xen community and they said this is not a
> issue from xen but libvirt. Meanwhile they told me I need to rebuild
> libvirt to adapt my current version of Xen.
>
> However, after I re-build xen (download, decompress, ./configure, make,
> make install), the error is still there.
> Can anyone let me know if I built the libvirt correctly? Do I need to do
> anything specific to my current version (4.1.2) of Xen?

With your self-built libvirt, what does this say:
virsh --version=long

If it doesn't include 'Hypervisors: Xen', then you didn't have the
prerequisite build dependencies in place when you built libvirt, so
configure automatically disabled xen.  You may also want to check the
tail of config.log, where it lists which options were auto-detected.