[libvirt-users] Host does not support virtualization type 'xen'

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 17:30:03 UTC 2012

[please don't top-post on technical lists - I've reformatted my reply]

On 03/14/2012 11:24 AM, Su Zhang wrote:

>>>  However, while I was installing domU image by using virt-install -p at
>>> domU OS. I encountered an
>>> error information" Host does not support virtualization type 'xen' ".

> Thanks for your reply. Yet it seems that it does support Xen based on the
> running script:
>
> virsh --version=long
> Virsh command line tool of libvirt 0.9.10
> See web site at http://libvirt.org/
>
> Compiled with support for:
>  Hypervisors: Xen QEmu/KVM UML OpenVZ VirtualBox LXC Test

Good.  The next step is determining which hypervisor you are connecting
to by default:

virsh uri

If that isn't right (for example, if it returns qemu:///system), then
you need to modify how you are calling virt-install to pass an explicit
URI (or set LIBVIRT_DEFAULT_URI in your environment).  Try 'virt-install
-c xen:///' to force libvirt to talk to the xen hypervisor.
http://libvirt.org/uri.html gives more details on setting a URI.