[libvirt-users] no connection driver available for No connection for URI xen:///

Alex Jia ajia at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 03:20:50 UTC 2012

On 03/16/2012 11:02 AM, Su Zhang wrote:

> [...]
>>         > I am new to both libvirt and Xen. Anyone have any ideas on
>>         what's wrong
>>         > with the following error ?
>>         >
>>         >
>>         >
>>         > # virt-install --connect=xen:/// -p -d
>>         > Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 DEBUG    Launched with command line:
>>         > /usr/bin/virt-install --connect=xen:/// -p -d
>>         > Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 DEBUG    Requesting libvirt URI
>>         xen:///
>>         > Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 ERROR    no connection driver
>>         available for No
>>         > connection for URI xen:///
>>
>>         This probably means that your copy of libvirt.so and libvirtd
>>         was built
>>         without xen support.  What does
>>
>>         virsh --version=long
>>
>>         say?  Also, are you sure libvirtd is running?
>>
>     In addition, I want to know your libvirt.so, libvirtd, xend
>     location, for example,
>     # which libvirtd
>     # which xend
>     # locate libvirt.so
>
>     Please also make sure xend service is running:
>     # service xend status
>>

>>         --
>>         Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com <mailto:eblake at redhat.com>
>>         +1-919-301-3266 <tel:%2B1-919-301-3266>
>>         Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
>>

>>     Eric,
>>
>>     Here is the output:
>>     # virsh --version=long
>>     Virsh command line tool of libvirt 0.9.10
>>     See web site at http://libvirt.org/
>>
>>     Compiled with support for:
>>      Hypervisors: Xen QEmu/KVM UML OpenVZ VirtualBox LXC Test
>>      Networking: Remote Daemon Network Bridging Nwfilter VirtualPort
>>      Storage: Dir Filesystem SCSI Multipath iSCSI LVM
>>      Miscellaneous: SELinux Secrets Debug
>>
>>     It seems that it does support Xen.
>     Yeah, Xen indeed appears in Hypervisors line.
>

>>     I am not sure if libvirtd is running so I use the following
>>     command to start it:
>>
>>     [root at XenTester srv]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/libvirtd start
>     Right, you may also use service libvirtd start, and check it by
>     service libvirtd status or ps -ef|grep libvirtd.
>>
>>     But the same error is still there.
>>
>>     Am I using the right way to start libvirtd service? Are there any
>>     other possible reasons of this error?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     --
>>     Su Zhang
>>     Ph.D Candidate
>>     Computing and Information Sciences
>>     Kansas State University

> Alex,
>
> Here is some information:
>
> # /etc/init.d/xencommons start
> Starting xenstored...
> Setting domain 0 name...
> Starting xenconsoled...
> [root at XenTester su]# /etc/init.d/xend start
> [root at XenTester su]# which libvirtd
> /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd
> [root at XenTester su]# which xend
> /usr/sbin/xend
> [root at XenTester su]# locate libvirt.so
You have 2 different libvirt versions 0.9.4 and 0.9.10, and your 0.9.10
is put under the
/usr/local/lib directory, so I guess you haven't used ./configure with
--prefix=/usr option
or directly use ./autogen.sh --system when you configure and compile
libvirt.

And also please yum install strace -y if you haven't installed strace
rpm, then run the following operation:

# strace -o strace.txt virt-install --connect=xen:/// -p

Then attach strace.txt as a attachment.

Thanks,
Alex