[libvirt-users] Specifying the KVM binary to use with libvirt

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 20:11:05 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 12:42 PM, Alexander Lyakas wrote:
> Greetings everybody,
>
> I am running stock ubuntu-natty with kernel 2.6.38-8, KVM 0.14.0 and
> libvirt 0.8.8. I am spawning virtual machines with libvirt.
> I would like to test a new KVM version built aside without installing
> it over existing KVM. Is there a way to tell libvirt which KVM binary
> to pick up?
> I've been searching and saw that QEMU driver looks in /usr/bin for KVM
> executable. Is there a way to adjust that?

If you modify the guest XML, the /domain/drivers/emulator XPath element
can set the path to the KVM executable you want to use for that domain
(libvirt fills in that element automatically with the kvm it found by
default if you didn't provide it, but by modifying the XML, you can
change the path to use on the next boot of the domain).