[libvirt-users] Host does not support virtualization type 'xen'

Su Zhang westlifezs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:24:32 UTC 2012

Thanks for your reply. Yet it seems that it does support Xen based on the
running script:

virsh --version=long
Virsh command line tool of libvirt 0.9.10
See web site at http://libvirt.org/

Compiled with support for:
 Hypervisors: Xen QEmu/KVM UML OpenVZ VirtualBox LXC Test
 Networking: Remote Daemon Network Bridging Nwfilter VirtualPort
 Storage: Dir Filesystem SCSI Multipath iSCSI LVM
 Miscellaneous: SELinux Secrets Debug

Do you think the output is normal? Or are there any other possible reasons
for this error?

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 10:43 AM, Su Zhang wrote:
> > Hello Community,
> >
> >  I successfully installed and run xen (xm list and xm info (but virt_caps
> > only has hvm) can output appropriately).
> >  However, while I was installing domU image by using virt-install -p at
> > domU OS. I encountered an
> > error information" Host does not support virtualization type 'xen' ".
> > I built xen from source. Some of my friends have the same issue, but if
> > they use pre-build xen, the issue will go away.
> > However, I want to insist in using my version of xen (build from source).
> > Does anyone can give any hint about this error?
> >
> > I asked the same question at xen community and they said this is not a
> > issue from xen but libvirt. Meanwhile they told me I need to rebuild
> > libvirt to adapt my current version of Xen.
> >
> > However, after I re-build xen (download, decompress, ./configure, make,
> > make install), the error is still there.
> > Can anyone let me know if I built the libvirt correctly? Do I need to do
> > anything specific to my current version (4.1.2) of Xen?
>
> With your self-built libvirt, what does this say:
> virsh --version=long
>
> If it doesn't include 'Hypervisors: Xen', then you didn't have the
> prerequisite build dependencies in place when you built libvirt, so
> configure automatically disabled xen.  You may also want to check the
> tail of config.log, where it lists which options were auto-detected.
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266

Su Zhang
Ph.D Candidate