[libvirt-users] Can libvirt set or change the IP address of guest machine

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 15:30:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:26:07PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 18.03.2012 03:24, Harold Fei wrote:
> > To Whom It May Concern:
> >
> > I use libvirt over one month, I
> > need a function to set the ip address of the guest machine. One can
> > change the guest ip address will be a great appreciation. However, I did
> > not find such a feature in the process of learning libvirt. The purpose
> > of this mail is to ask the experts whether libvirt provide such a
> > feature. If there is no, how can I implement such functionality.
>
> You can create static leases based on interfaces MACs:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-February/msg00373.html
>
> However, libvirt lacks API for changing guest's interface IP on the fly
> since qemu-ga lacks such feature too. Therefore when implementing this
> functionality - qemu-ga part needs to be done firstly so you can build
> on stable interface. This may be your inspiration:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-02/msg04173.html

I'm not entirely convinced this is in scope for libvirt. Once you start
talking about configuring guest networking, IMHO, this has become a
general "OS management" problem, for which there must be countless
existing solutiuons. Just deployment some existing agent to handle
this kind of thing.

Regards,
Daniel