[libvirt-users] qemu-monitor-command

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 21:03:47 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 02:58 PM, Shawn Davis wrote:

>> Older libvirt had a bug where it wouldn't parse qemu 1.0 version (the
>> change from 3 digits to 2 confused the older libvirt).  If you're going
>> to go with self-built qemu, you might also want to try self-built
>> libvirt 0.9.10.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266
>> Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
>>

> I installed libvirt 0.9.10 from source and now virsh is not finding the
> following:
>
> testa at testaT4:~$ virsh list
> virsh: /usr/lib/libvirt-qemu.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_QEMU_0.9.4' not found
> (required by virsh)

Ouch - you've now got version mismatch, where you didn't completely
uninstall the distro version, and your self-built version is installed
in locations that pick up the distro version.  Did you use the right
configure flags?

> I can't install qemu 1.0 and libvirt 0.9.10 through apt right?

Ah, apt - are you on debian or ubuntu?  I don't know as much about the
versions that those distros are using (I'm personally using Fedora 16,
along with the fedora-virt-preview repo, which gives 0.9.10 pre-built).

> I assume I
> had to get them from source.  Anyways, please let me know how I can get
> virsh to see that I have 0.9.10.  Once I get this working and can run that
> monitor command I will be in good shape.

There might be someone already shipping a pre-built 0.9.10 apt, but I
wouldn't know where to tell you to look, so building from source is the
other alternative.  If you build from libvirt.git, you can use
'./autobuild.sh --system' to help set the ./configure options that match
with the typical installation directories for at least Fedora, but
again, I don't know how that fares with the debian installation layout
(and patches are welcome to autobuild.sh for anyone that wants to use it
on a debian layout).