[libvirt-users] Cant Update libvirt on fedora 15 i686

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Mar 27 19:05:49 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 04:28 AM, siddharth jain wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com
> <mailto:eblake at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/24/2012 11:18 PM, siddharth jain wrote:
>     > I am running Fedora15 on a i386 machine, and using libvirt
>     0.8.7.   I cant
>     > update libvirt to 0.9.10 as they have not released 0.9.10 for
>     i386 or i686
>     > machines.
>     > need help .
>
>     Policy for Fedora releases is that once the release is made, only bug
>     fixes to that version will be used; Fedora 15 won't ever ship
>     newer than
>     0.8.7.  That said, you can use the fedora-virt-preview repo to get
>     Fedora 16's libvirt coupled with the rest of Fedora 16.  Other
>     possibilities are to update to Fedora 16 and/or help beta test Fedora
>     17, or to build libvirt from a tarball yourself rather than
>     waiting for
>     Fedora to do it for you.
>

> Thanks Eric for your reply.
> Using fedora-virt-preview , i can only get till libvirt-0.9.6
> But i am interested in libvirt-0.9.10 version, bcoz libvirt-0.9.10
> contains the functions that i  require in my project.

Just out of curiosity, what new-to-0.9.10 feature do you require?

> And regarding tarball the problem is that i need the following
> dependencies:
> libvirt-client,libvirt-devel libvirt-debuginfo ,pyhton-libvirt
> And these are not shipped for i386 and i686 machine for the same
> verion 0.9.10.

Those are built from the same sources, and as a part of the process of
building the libvirt package. Once you have the libvirt sources
untarred, you should be able to do something like:

   ./autogen.sh --system --with-qemu-user=qemu --with-qemu-group=qemu
   make rpm

After you overcome errors related to packages that you need for the
build, this will create all the rpm files for you. You must then update
all of these packages at once:

   rpm -Uvh libvirt-*.i686.rpm

If you need to rebuild and update again, you'll need to add:

   --oldpackage --replacefiles --replacepkgs

to the rpm commandline.

If you have problems with the build process, you should probably ask
questions on libvir-list (the development list) rather than here, so the