[libvirt-users] serial console locking for a domain (concurrent access = garbled output)

Dusty Mabe dustymabe at gmail.com
Tue May 1 18:51:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am seeing an issue in libvirt-0.9.4-23.el6_2.7.x86_64.rpm where my
virsh console output for a domain gets garbled because I have
virt-manager running and it is also trying to access the serial device
for the guest domain. Basically there is concurrent serial access and
half the text ends up on one end while the rest ends up on the other
end.

Closing virt-manager does not help. Disconnecting and reconnecting
using virsh console does not help. The only way to recover is to
destroy the domain and then start the guest again and never start
virt-manager. Note that the domain does not have VNC graphics so
virt-manager defaults to try to access the serial port when started
for a particular domain.

Should there be locking within libvirt to only allow for a single
client to access a specific serial port of a domain?

Thanks,

Dusty Mabe