[libvirt-users] NPIV setup?

Jason Price japrice at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:13:29 UTC 2012

I'm missing something.

The purpose of NPIV (as I understand it) is to give a guest OS an HBA that
it can scan, play with new luns, etc all without making changes to the
physical server(s) the guest is living in currently.

However, I can't find a way to either have the guest's XML config create
the HBA or for the physical server to successfully GIVE the HBA to the
guest.  I can give disks all day long, but I can't give the HBA to the
guest.

It seems like libvirt and virsh can only create the vHBA on the physical
box, which defeats the purpose of working with NPIV then... I can just
present the same luns to the REAL WWPNs of the physical boxes that need
access, setup multipathd to give /dev/mapper names in a consistent manner,
and give the raw disks to the guests.

I really want to get the physical KVM servers out of the 'storage
management' game aside from the basic OSes of the guests.  How can I do
that?

(or am I missing something?)

--Jason