[libvirt-users] win-xp guest after reboot: could not open disk image /dev/sr0: mo medium found and extreme sluggisch

Ekkard Gerlach egerlach at aiai.de
Tue May 29 21:33:49 UTC 2012

I found it myself:

* Ekkard Gerlach (me) schrieb:

> win-xp won't boot after installation.

it's because in xml-file was /dev/sr0 . kvm checked the presence of sr0
If sr0 is not present the boot process makes stop.

Solution:  change /dev/sr0 to /media/cdrom0  (in debian squeeze always existing)
    in xml-file or delete the disk section entirely:

   <disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source dev='/media/cdrom0'/>       <<<==== changed
      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

BTW: unfortunately the cdrom is not passed throught. I'll find it out some day ..

> Installation worked, but was extrem slow. Machine: Lenovo B560, core i3, 6 GB RAM.

Only WinXP-Prof is very slow. WinXP home is quite fast. I found

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/tip-how-setup-windows-guest-paravirtual-network-drivers

to speed up WinXP , Tomorrow I've time to read it ...

Ekkard