Re: [libvirt-users] is this mailing list active? i am seeing low activity and am receiving spam

On 11/05/2012 12:56 PM, Joe Linoff wrote:
> I withdraw the question. Clearly this mailing list is active and helpful
> but the spam thing is a concern. It seems like someone might have
> hijacked the list OR I may have a local intrusion that cropped up about
> the same time.

Unfortunately, a spammer has subscribed to the list and is harvesting
all email addresses appearing in list traffic, and then sending private,
and rather offensive, responses while reusing subject lines from the
list.  The list itself is not sending spam.

It is a recent and very unfortunate development, in about the last week,
and rest assured that the list admins are trying to figure out who to
unsubscribe to quit the harvesting of email addresses, although that
won't help if your address was already harvested.  This is not the only
list hit; many open source lists have reported the same issue in the
last week.