[libvirt-users] move VM disk images between storage pools on the same host

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 21:37:10 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 02:13 PM, Paul Raines wrote:

> I created a new LVM type storage pool on my server and would like to
> move my VM disk volumes in a directory-based pool into this new pool.
> But I cannot figure out how that is done.  I find plenty of information
> on how to migrate live VM images from one host to another, but not on
> how to just move one live from one storage pool to another on the same
> host.
>
> If it cannot be done live, how an I do it non-live?  I guess non-live I
> could clone, but that would change the MAC address.  Just seems that if
> libvirt
> can migrate live it should be able to move a VM between storage pools
> on the same host even easier.

Hmm - you have a good point - right now, 'virsh vol-create-from' and
'virsh vol-clone' only allow motion within a single pool, and not from
one pool to another.  I guess you could use 'virsh vol-download' and
'virsh vol-upload' to move volumes from one place to another, although
those APIs still lack the ability to cleanly state whether you are
migrating metadata (what the host sees) or contents for conversion into
a different format (what the guest sees).  At any rate, these commands
would be useful on offline disks (and NOT for a disk image in active
read-write use by any qemu guest).  I think there's a lot of work that
could be done to improve matters with how we manage volumes and pools.

Meanwhile, live storage migration IS possible, with libvirt 1.0.0 (now
out) and qemu 1.3 (which will be released in December, or if you are
comfortable building from qemu.git now), via the 'virsh blockcopy' command.

> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom

This is a publicly archived list, where such disclaimers are
unenforceable.  You may want to consider using a different email account
that isn't slammed by your employer's legalese.