[libvirt-users] difference between ` virsh save ` and `virsh snapshot

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 00:25:18 UTC 2012

On 11/12/2012 03:58 AM, zhijun liu wrote:
> what the difference between ` virsh save ` and  `virsh snapshot`? are they
> all used for backup for vm?have any details articles to introduce vm bakcup
> or image bakcup with libvirt?
>
> thanks in advance.

'virsh save' saves _just_ memory state, and then shuts down the guest.
If you alter the disks externally before restoring, you've hosed your guest.

'virsh snapshot' has more features.  In fact, when libvirt 1.0.1 is
released, 'virsh save $dom $file' will be shorthand for 'virsh
snapshot-create-as --no-metadata $dom --memspec $file --diskspec
vda,snapshot=no' for a guest with a single disk named vda.  But right
now, we're still working on getting all the corner cases right for that
sort of usage.

Yes, both commands can be used in VM backup; the list archives have
several threads on these topics (it's a hot question lately).

If you have more specific questions (and when I have more time than I
had for this email), I'd be glad to provide more details.