[libvirt-users] Migrating a LV backed guest

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 14:15:22 UTC 2012

On 10/16/2012 04:37 AM, Corey Quinn wrote:
> I have a KVM VM that's backed by a logical volume on local disk.
>
> I'd like to copy / move it to an identically configured host.
>
> [root at virt2 cquinn]# virsh migrate --copy-storage-all --verbose --persistent  node1.www qemu+ssh://10.102.1.11/system

Off-hand, that looks right; I just double-checked
http://libvirt.org/migration.html to make sure that it looks like a
valid native migration usage.  But do be aware that --copy-storage-all
is poorly tested, and also that it currently requires you to pre-create
a destination file by the same name (there has been talk about patching
libvirt to auto-create the files, but that patch is still in the work,
and for back-compat reasons, it would require you to pass another option).

> error: Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer

This most likely means that qemu on the receiving end died quite early;
perhaps looking at /var/log/libvirt/qemu/node1.www.log will give you
more clues why.