[libvirt-users] Re-sizing qcow2 images

Chandana De Silva chandana at desilva.id.au
Sun Oct 28 02:43:50 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I am using Centos 6.3 with libvirt 0.910 and qemu-kvm 0.12

I had to resize a qcow2 disk, and came across several issues;

I used this command to resize the image:

sudo -i /usr/bin/qemu-img /var/lib/libvirt/images/mydisk.img resize
+100G . The disk is attached using virtio.

I then tried to use parted from within the guest to resize the partition.

The first problem was that the guest os did not see the increase disk size.
Is there something that I need to do, to force the guest to see the
higher disk size ?
I got round this by re-starting the guest, but it would be better if
there is some way to force the guest to see the new size.

The second problem was that parted gave an error : Error: Filesystem has
an incompatible feature enable.
Some reading showed that this was caused by the "resize_inode" feature
on the file system. I removed this feature using debugfs, and rans fsck,
but parted still gave the same error:  Error: Filesystem has an
incompatible feature enable.

I would like some advice on how this is supposed to be done.

Thanks in advance.

Chandana