[libvirt-users] Attaching storage to a virtual machine

Douglas Russell root at dpwrussell.com
Tue Oct 30 12:03:16 UTC 2012

I am slightly lost trying to attach some storage to a functioning virtual
machine. If this where a real machine, I would simply be trying to mount a
LVM volume.

I have found a lot of documentation about adding storage pools, but I'm
unsure if that is actually what I should be doing. Is that just for storage
of the virtual machines themselves? Once I'd added my LVM volume group to
virsh I could see no way of then assigning one volume of that to be offered
as a logical volume to one particular virtual machine.

I've also seen this:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Virtualized_block_devices-Adding_storage_devices_to_guests.html#proc-Virtualization-Adding_storage_devices_to_guests-Adding_physical_block_devices_to_virtualized_guests

Looks like I could use that to assign one of the LVM volumes in my LVM
volume group to the VM.

If anyone could explain the different function of these two techniques and
which sounds applicable I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Douglas