[libvirt-users] virtual network bug?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Sep 3 15:45:35 UTC 2012

I have had a number of occasions lately where a virtual "NAT" network
(such as default) has stopped working.  I have attempted to stop and
then restart the network from the "network details" but the only thing
that seems to work is to restart all of the virtual guests which use
that network.  I don't believe that I should have to do that.  Is there
some command which will "fix" things?

I have had this happen to me a number of times but I am currently
uncertain of the cause.  Anyone know what is going on?  I am not going
to bugzilla this until.

I do know one way to cause the problem.  Disable the network in a
virtual machine.  Then using virt-manager's connection details menu,
stop that (default) network ... then start it up again.  Everything
sort-of looks ok but it is not.  Go back to the virtual machine and
re-enable the previously disable network.  Nope ... cannot connect.
Start another virtual machine which uses that network and it works fine.

In the "real world", I can disable a network, then remove a cable,
connect the cable back up, re-enable the network and everything works.

BTW, NetworkManager is used in all cases.

Any ideas?

Gene