[libvirt-users] How to disable dnsmasq from starting automatically with libvirtd

Marwan Tanager marwan.tngr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 08:04:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 03:54:30PM +0800, Osier Yang wrote:
> On 2012年09月13日 15:50, Marwan Tanager wrote:

> >>No, it depends on your previous network status, note that libvirt
> >>saves the object's state, so that things could be consistent before
> >>restarting/reloading.
> >>
> >># virsh net-list --all
> >>Name                 State      Autostart
> >>-----------------------------------------
> >>default              active     no
> >>
> >># service libvirtd restart
> >>Restarting libvirtd (via systemctl):                       [  OK  ]
> >>
> >># virsh net-list --all
> >>Name                 State      Autostart
> >>-----------------------------------------
> >>default              active     no
> >>
> >># pidof libvirtd
> >>6868
> >># pidof dnsmasq
> >>6826
> >>

> >># virsh net-destroy default
> >>Network default destroyed
> >>
> >># service libvirtd restart
> >>Restarting libvirtd (via systemctl):                       [  OK  ]
> >>
> >># virsh net-list --all
> >>Name                 State      Autostart
> >>-----------------------------------------
> >>default              inactive   no
> >>
> >># ps -ef | grep dnsmasq
> >>root      6762 20112  0 15:07 pts/1    00:00:00 grep --color=auto dnsmasq
> >># pidof libvirtd
> >>6689
> >>
> >>Does this make sense to you? :-)
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Osier
> >
> >It does, but it's a different story. You should have tried two more commands
> >after the last one:
> >
> ># virsh net-start default
> ># ps -ef | grep dnsmasq
> >
> >then, you would have found the grepping positive. That's what I'am actually
> >talking about :)
> >

> <...>
> Thanks for the response, but my question was whether it's possible to start
> libvirtd (and hence, activate the virtual networks "automatically")
> on boot, but
> without dnsmasq being started along the way.
> </...>
>
> As far as I understand from this, you just want the network not started
> along with libvirtd. Why do you want to start it again by "net-start"
> when it's already not started along with libvirtd? :-)

I want the network to start automatically with libvirtd but "without" dnsmasq. I
haven't say anything about starting it with net-start. I've just put those two
commands to show you that merely starting the netwrok "causes" dnsmasq to start
too, hence I had talked about the thing being hardcoded.

	Marwan