[libvirt-users] How to migrate over TCP without certs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 08:54:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:20:15PM -0500, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have a private network and I trust it! /me hides behind trees...
>
> So, in order to exercise my trust, I wanna migrate guests over TCP;
> with and without shared storage.
>
> This is:
>
> - I want to migrate from host1 to host2; which have shared storage;
> over TCP without certs
> - I want to migrate from host1 to host99, which don't have shared
> storage, over TCP without certs
>
> I am asking because, every time I try anythng, it complains:
> error: Cannot read CA certificate '/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such
> file or directory
>
> If I need to setup this cacert, no problem; point me to it!

The libvirtd config defaults to TLS, so you need to explicitly
turn that off by editing /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf and set
listen_tls=0 and listen_tcp=1

Even though you "trust" your network, I'd still advise doing
some level of auth. If you configure SASL with TCP, and use
the Digest-MD5 protocol for SASL you'll get reasonably
strong password auth + channel encryption.

  http://libvirt.org/auth.html#ACL_server_username

Daniel