[libvirt-users] minor swap issue ....

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 17:18:31 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 10:41 PM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 09/25/12 10:57, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 09/25/2012 09:21 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>>
>>> .... I have a CentOS 5.n VM running on a Fedora 14 server/host,
>> You do realize that Fedora 14 is no longer supported upstream, right?
>> The Fedora folks won't support anything older than Fedora 16 at the moment.
>

> Yes, thanks. I am planning to upgrade this server to CentOS 6.n when I get a chance, but
> right now, it is serving many purposes, including across-the-LAN backups, singly since
> another server crashed a HDD a while back. I'll get around to it eventually ....
>

>>> i.e. it took 3+ min. to get back to the prompt for this command (usually
>>> about 5 sec.) .... This isn't a show-stopped by any means, but it is
>>> irritating. From the timestamps&  data from the host&  guest, apparently
>>> all of that was used up swapping the guest back in. Is there any way to
>>> either prioritize the VM to not get swapped out, or preferentially
>>> swapped back in :-) ? TIA for any pointers ....
>> I have no idea if this problem exists using modern kernels, or even if
>> you can use recent cgroup scheduling tunables (exposed via domain XML
>> here: http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsCPUTuning) to resolve
>> your problem.  But you are unlikely to get much assistance unless you
>> can reproduce the tests using more up-to-date software.
>>

> Fedora 12-14 are inputs/basis for RHEL/CentOS 6.n, so I am not clear on why they are not
> 'modern' or 'up-to-date' ....

Fedora release cycle and maintenance is independent of RHEL.

In short: There's a new Fedora release every 6 months. And each release is
maintained/supported for 13 months.

(Also note: Even Fedora-16 will go End-of-Life once Fedora-18 releases, which is just
around the corder)

You can read about Fedora release life-cycle here (specifically 'Maintenance Schedule') -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle

--
/kashyap