[libvirt-users] minor swap issue ....

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 17:33:35 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 11:11 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 09/25/12 10:57, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 09/25/2012 09:21 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>>
>>> .... I have a CentOS 5.n VM running on a Fedora 14 server/host,
>> You do realize that Fedora 14 is no longer supported upstream, right?
>> The Fedora folks won't support anything older than Fedora 16 at the
>> moment.
>

> Yes, thanks. I am planning to upgrade this server to CentOS 6.n when I
> get a chance, but right now, it is serving many purposes, including
> across-the-LAN backups, singly since another server crashed a HDD a
> while back. I'll get around to it eventually ....

I hope you also realize that all versions of CentOS are more or less
unsupported - you are getting what you paid for :)

> Fedora 12-14 are inputs/basis for RHEL/CentOS 6.n, so I am not clear on
> why they are not 'modern' or 'up-to-date' ....

There's a crucial difference between Fedora 14 and RHEL 6 - critical bug
fixes are still being backported to RHEL 6 by Red Hat folks, as driven
by the development dollars of paid support, while Fedora 14 is frozen in
time with no more patches being backported.  If you want long term
support, you need to use a release that promises long term support, like
RHEL, and not one that promises to abandon that release in 13 months,
like Fedora.  Likewise, there's a difference between RHEL and CentOS -
with the former, you have paid for a support contract, and therefore Red
Hat is obligated to help you for as long as they maintain that release
(which is for quite a few years), but CentOS is just the software bits
with no support, so you are on your own.

As for 'modern' or 'up-to-date', this list tends to focus on issues that
are reproducible in the latest libvirt.git or current libvirt release
(now 0.10.2); anything older is deemed a problem relevant to your
distributor, for them to determine whether there is a newer upstream
patch to backport to their stable release, or to even drive some
upstream development to fix the issue.