[libvirt-users] boot device

vivek hari jsblack21 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:52:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to create a guest machine on xen virtualized environment and
install rhel on it by booting from cdrom.
I face a issue in booting device. I gave boot order as hd,cdrom. When doing
maiden installation, it will find nothing in hard disk and boots from cd.
Once installation is completed and when it boots next time it boots from
hard disk.  It is the expected behaviour.
But it fails to boot from hard disk and again boots from cdrom.

I also tried specifying per boot device option. I specified disk image as
boot order 1 and cd image as boot order 2. But when i power on for the
first time, it tries to boot from harddisk and finds nothing there and says
" No bootable device. Going to power off in 30 seconds". But expected is,
it should boot from cd after trying hard disk.

Below is my domain configuration xml file i used to create guest domain.

<domain type='xen'>
     <name>vm-2</name>
      <memory>1048576</memory>
      <vcpu>1</vcpu>
      <os>
            <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
        <loader>/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader</loader>
<!--        <boot dev='hd' />
            <boot dev='cdrom'/> -->
      </os>
    <features>
            <acpi/>
            <apic/>
            <pae/>
      </features>
    <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
    <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
      <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
    <devices>
            <emulator>/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>
            <disk type='file' device='disk'>
                  <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/vm-2.img'/>
                  <target dev='xvda' bus='ide' />
            <boot order='1'/>
            <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0'
unit='0'/>
           </disk>
        <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
                   <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/Rhel53.iso'/>
                   <target dev='hdc' bus='ide' />
            <boot order='2'/>
                   <readonly/>
            <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' target='0'
unit='0' />
        </disk>
        <interface type='bridge'>
                  <source bridge='br0'/>
            </interface>
        <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes'/>
      </devices>
</domain>

I don't know where i am going wrong. So need help in resolving this issue.

Thanks,