[libvirt-users] How to properly test watchdog?

Russell Jones russell at jonesmail.me
Thu Sep 6 22:40:44 UTC 2012

CentOS 6

Hi all,

I am working on setting up sanlock + watchdog on a 2 node KVM pair.
Sanlock is working beautifully and is preventing access to the VM disks
by more than one process as it should across both boxes. I am attempting
to test failure scenarios involving watchdog, but I am having a hard
time getting it to actually reset the server.

I am running wdmd with -D so I can see the register requests. When I
start sanlock with "service sanlock start" I can see it talk to the wdmd
process, as debug logs "register ............ sanlock_daemon". I then
send a "kill -9" signal to the daemon to try to simulate a crash, and
wdmd logs "client_pid_dead".

I would expect Watchdog to see that the PID is dead and as a result
start the timer and reboot the server. It does not do that however. Am I
misunderstanding how it reacts to TERM requests? How can I properly test
wdmd?

Thanks for the help!