[libvirt-users] How to properly test watchdog?

Russell Jones russell at jonesmail.me
Mon Sep 10 18:35:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

Just wanted to "bump" this back up the top in case anyone may
know how to do this but didn't see it the first time around :) Surely
there's some way of properly testing watchdog instead of just taking its
word for it.

On 06.09.2012 17:40, Russell Jones wrote:

> CentOS 6
>

> Hi all,
>
> I am working on setting up sanlock + watchdog on a 2
node KVM pair.
> Sanlock is working beautifully and is preventing
access to the VM disks
> by more than one process as it should across
both boxes. I am attempting
> to test failure scenarios involving
watchdog, but I am having a hard
> time getting it to actually reset
the server.

> I am running wdmd with -D so I can see the register
requests. When I
> start sanlock with "service sanlock start" I can see
it talk to the wdmd
> process, as debug logs "register ............
sanlock_daemon". I then
> send a "kill -9" signal to the daemon to try
to simulate a crash, and
> wdmd logs "client_pid_dead".
>
> I would
expect Watchdog to see that the PID is dead and as a result
> start the
timer and reboot the server. It does not do that however. Am I

misunderstanding how it reacts to TERM requests? How can I properly test