[libvirt-users] virt-manager slow to connect, hangs on new host dialog

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Apr 3 14:06:05 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am using virt-manager 0.9.4 on a Debian unstable system (libvirt
0.9.12) to connect to a libvirtd via SSH running on a Debian testing
system (also version 0.9.12), and I have a problem using
virt-manager, which first takes ages to connect, then freezes.

The SSH connection is top-quality, the hosts are next to each other
and connected by Gigabit Ethernet. virsh connections work fine.

Unfortunately, when I run virt-manager and connect to the host, the
host's capabilities are fetched very quickly (according to
virt-manager's debug output), but it then takes 20–30 seconds until
the connection is established.

Logging libvirtd with log_level=2 produces nothing useful. Hence
I tried with log_level=1, which is mayhem. Attached is the log
output from the moment I told virt-manager to connect until shortly
after the connection has been established. Maybe someone can figure
out what's going on? I cannot…

The next problem is that when I then try to create a host, I am
shown the dialog and can enter one or two characters into the name
field, then the GUI completely freezes, and so does libvirtd on the
other system (ctrl-c does not work anymore).

I have also captured this part of the session in a second log file,
which provides no clues for me.

Does anyone else know what might be going on?

Thanks,

"es ist immer etwas wahnsinn in der liebe.
 es ist aber auch immer etwas vernunft im wahnsinn."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net