[libvirt-users] /dev/tty only on a new container

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 13:30:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 03:22:54PM +0200, Sebastien Douche wrote:
> Hi folks :),
> I migrated the host from the Debian Squeeze to Ubuntu 12.10. Old
> containers work but I can't use the ssh command, /dev/tty is missing.
> On a new container, /dev/tty is here. The libvirt configuration is the
> same.

Libvirt never creates any /dev/tty node, and /dev is a tmpfs created
each time the container starts, so the only reason a /dev/tty could
exist is if something you are running inside the container created it.

The console devices libvirt creates are /dev/tty0, /dev/tty1, etc,
with tty0 obviously being the first/primary one.

Regards,
Daniel