[libvirt-users] libvirt support for qcow2 rebase?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 15:01:18 UTC 2013

On 04/17/2013 07:35 AM, Skardal, Harald wrote:
> I have not found support in libvirt (nor virsh) for doing the equivalent
> of "qemu-img rebase ....".

Correct - offline image manipulation is something I'd love to see added,
but last time I worked on the issue, I realized that there is a LOT of
design work still needed.  With online image chain manipulation, we can
start a long-running job, and qemu keeps track of it for us.  So we can
restart libvirtd, and then ask qemu if the job is done yet, thanks to
qemu supporting a Unix socket monitor connection that we can reconnect
to at will.  But with offline image manipulation, a long-running job
means spawning a qemu-img child process, and that does not have an
ability to reconnect.  So libvirt itself would be responsible for
setting up enough management resources that the management of qemu-img
can survive a libvirtd restart.  Not as trivial as I'd like.

> The use case:
>
> You have copied a qcow2 stack and the new files have different names or
> reside in a different directory. Therefore you need to change the
> backing file.
>

> Is there a way  to do this? Is this a planned addition to libvirt?

Yes, it's planned, but only when someone has enough time to make it
their highest priority effort in patching efforts.  In the meantime, you
have to settle with doing qemu-img calls yourself, then updating
libvirt's state to match your manual changes.