[libvirt-users] virt-install creates a snapshot as the volume backend

Ahmed Ossama ahmed at aossama.net
Sat Apr 27 22:55:38 UTC 2013

Greetings All,

I was running libvirt-0.9.10 on CentOS 6.3 and it was working perfectly
until yesterday when I decided to update to 6.4, which upgraded
libvirt-0.9.10 to libvirt-0.10.2.

I have a storage pool of type volume group, upon upgrading to
libvirt-0.10.2, the disk image gets created as a snapshot on the volume
group not as a regular volume.

Now every time I create a vm using virt-install on a vg, the lv gets
created as a snapshot not a regular lv, as a result I get the following
error when I run dmesg:

    device-mapper: snapshots: Invalidating snapshot: Unable to allocate
    exception.
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 128251
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 256
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 257
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 258
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 259
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 260
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 261
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 262
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    Buffer I/O error on device dm-5, logical block 263
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5
    lost page write due to I/O error on dm-5

and the following on the domain's log file:

    block I/O error in device 'drive-virtio-disk0': Input/output error (5)

# virt-install --name="ns1" --vcpus="2" --check-cpu --ram=512
--os-variant="rhel6" --network "bridge=br0" --disk
"pool=vdisks,size=22,cache=writeback" --vnc --hvm --vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
--cdrom="/mnt/ISOs/centos/x86_64/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso" --hvm
# lvs | grep ns
   ns1.img          vm_volumes swi-aos--   4.00m [ns1.img_vorigin]   0.00

When I try to create a volume using virt-manager on the volume group, it
gets created as a snapshot. But when I create a volume using virsh, it
gets created correctly;

    virsh # vol-create-as vdisks test 23622320128

    # lvs | grep test
       test             vm_volumes -wi-a----  22.00g

If anyone came across this issue or can provide an advice, I will
appreciate it so much.

--
Best Regards,
Ahmed Ossama