[libvirt-users] Problem with net-define using Open vSwitch bridge

Will Dennis wdennis at nec-labs.com
Fri Apr 5 16:11:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I used "net-define" to create a network to use to attach VMs to an Open vSwitch bridge. The net-define worked fine, I can see the network in "net-list" (I set it to started and to autostart) but when I try to attach a new VM's NIC to this network (via virt-manager), I'm getting the following traceback:

Unable to complete install: 'Unable to add bridge vl10-ovsbr0 port vnet0: Operation not supported'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 96, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1943, in do_install
    guest.start_install(False, meter=meter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 1249, in start_install
    noboot)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 1317, in _create_guest
    dom = self.conn.createLinux(start_xml or final_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 2606, in createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed', conn=self)
libvirtError: Unable to add bridge vl10-ovsbr0 port vnet0: Operation not supported

I'm going to assume the problem is that the bridge is not a linux bridge, but an Open vSwitch bridge. But I did have a line in the XML file that I used for net-define as follows:

<virtualport type='openvswitch'/>

But when I ran net-define, it failed to create the network with the error:

XML error: unexpected virtualport type -1

Removing that line and re-running the net-define worked, as I have stated above. How do I tell libvirt that this bridge is an Open vSwitch bridge and not a regular Linux bridge?

Thanks,
Will