[libvirt-users] Libvirt profiling

Jon Martin Sigvaldsen jon.martin.sigvaldsen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 08:09:15 UTC 2013

Hi

For a school project I am researching performance issues when using libvirt
to run very large numbers of virtual machines.

My experiments indicate that having more CPU cores negatively impacts the
performance. A simple desktop with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 performs
better than a server with a 48 core AMD CPU. Limiting the cores used
through 'cputune' improves performance on the server. If anyone has got any
explanations for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Further on I would like to profile the slowdowns, but I am not sure how to
approach this problem. Any recommendations on how to do this?

Best regards
Jon