[libvirt-users] direct local access to Xen without libvirtd

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Aug 7 12:23:44 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 01:38 AM, Jungnam Lee wrote:
> Hi all. I'm just new to libvirt.
>
> Looking page here http://libvirt.org/drvxen.html , there are examples of connection URIs to Xen.
>
> xen:///                        (local access, direct)
> xen+unix:///                   (local access, via daemon)
> xen://example.com/             (remote access, TLS/x509)
> xen+tcp://example.com/         (remote access, SASl/Kerberos)
> xen+ssh://root@example.com/    (remote access, SSH tunnelled)
>
> I thought the first example 'xen:///' would not need libvirtd, because the second line said 'via daemon'.

At one point, the code was able to do limited interaction with xen
without needing libvirtd, if you had enough privileges as a user; but it
turns out that there is enough stateful interaction for xen:/// to be
useful that we have required libvirtd for ALL xen interaction as of
commit e65812d4 (version 0.8.6, several years ago).  I guess that means
we need to fix that web page example.

> But my C code using URI above prompts 'Failed to connect socket' error.
>
> So it seems that running libvirtd is mandatory. Is this right?

Yes.