[libvirt-users] Running hypervisor upgrade problem

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 11:34:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:23:28AM +0000, Naor Shlomo wrote:
> Hello experts,
>
> I tried upgrading libvirt and compiled version 1.1.1
> The problem is that when I run "virsh version" I get the following output:
>
> Compiled against library: libvirt 1.1.1
> Using library: libvirt 1.1.1
> Using API: QEMU 1.1.1
> Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.1
>
> The problem is that it reports that the Running hypervisor is: QEMU 0.12.1
>
> I wanted to upgrade everything to the latest stable so I also upgraded
> the qemu-kvm to 1.5.2 but for some reason the reported qemu hypervisor
> is left outdated. Could you please tell me why is that and how do I
> upgrade it to the latest?

Libvirt reports the version number associated with the QEMU binary
it finds that best matches the host architecture. If you look at
'virsh capabilities' you'll see what QEMU binaries libvirt has
detected. NB, once the version is detected, libvirt will cache
it, so you must restarted libvirtd if you upgrade QEMU to a new
version.  Also make sure libvirt really is detecting your new
install, not thue old binaries by checking the capbilities
XML executable paths.

Daniel