[libvirt-users] Virsh snapshots

Juraj Melo imelojuraj at fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Dec 4 15:29:59 UTC 2013

Thanks for your answer,

I am trying to make a snapshot of whole virtual machine (disk, CPU
state, memory). But I need to make this snapshot in matter of seconds.

I have already try to create snapshot of  disk, which is not problem. I
use qcow2 format, and create new disk image using original disk image as
backing file. But still I am not able to assign state of vm with new disk.

I have found some commands for creating snapshots in libvirt API, so in
my opinion one way how to accomplish my task is to create utility using
theese commands, and create snapshot of vm in RAM - I hope it would be
faster.

But I wonder whether virsh contains similar functionality, so I won't
need to programm it again.

Dne 2.12.2013 19:32, Eric Blake napsal(a):
On 12/02/2013 09:04 AM, Juraj Melo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on my PhD thesis and it would be really helpfull if someone
> could advise me, whether can Virsh create snapshots of VMs using
> copy-on-write.
What are you trying to copy-on-write?  Is it just disk state, or VM
memory state?  Do you have corresponding qemu commands that you are
trying to figure out if virsh maps to those same commands?  There's a
lot of flexibility in the virsh snapshot XML, but not all of it has been
wired up yet (in part because it's still a moving target for what
upstream qemu supports), so knowing more details about what you are
trying to do will help us better answer whether it can be done now and
if so with which commands.