[libvirt-users] list moderation policies [was: assign static public IP to container]

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 23:39:52 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 03:47 PM, scar wrote:
> oh also would like to add that in the past when i post to a moderated
> list i usually receive an email explaining such, and offering me the
> opportunity to cancel the message by visiting a special URL (i think, or
> replying to the message e.g.) or wait for it to be approved.  since i
> didn't receive any such email, i figured the duplicate posts were
> silently rejected.

Ah, that explains it.  Mailman has an option to turn on moderation
messages, but we haven't enabled it.  This policy is borrowed from a
number of other mailman lists that also leave the moderation message
disabled (for example, the GNU coreutils list behaves in the same way).

I wonder whether a moderation message that replies to spammers could be
exploited as a probe of "yes this is a valid list email address" (not
that the spam would get moderated through, but it might make the
moderator's life more time-consuming if it increases the volume of spam
attempted).  On the other hand, as a moderation reply message would only
be sent to first-time posters, it won't be any change observable to
current whitelisted addresses.  What do other list readers think -
should we turn on the moderation message that warns people when their
message is being held?