[libvirt-users] First & long question

Joaquim Barrera jbarrera at ac.upc.edu
Mon Dec 16 14:47:10 UTC 2013

On 16/12/13 11:19, Ján Tomko wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 11:00 AM, Joaquim Barrera wrote:
>> After make finishes I have compiled 1.2.0 libvirt in the source tree, and if I
>> execute 'sudo ./run tools/virsh version' I get a this answer:
>>
>> /Compiled against library: libvirt 1.2.0//
>> //Using library: libvirt 1.2.0//
>> //Using API: QEMU 1.2.0//
>> //Running hypervisor: QEMU 1.5.0/
>>
>> (/note that now I need to run virsh with sudo, I don't know exactly why/)
> When run as root, virsh connects to the system libvirt daemon by default (URI
> qemu:///system). As a non-privileged user, qemu:///session is used and the
> daemon is run as the user.
>
> See http://libvirt.org/uri.html#URI_qemu
Based on this, if I execute regular 1.1.1 'virsh uri' as a non-root I
would read qemu:///session, but instead I get qemu:///system in my computer.

>> So far, so good. I guess that, with --system flag, 1.2.0 custom libvirt uses
>> config files from standard directories such as /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf, and
>> if I used a custom directory instead, I would have to redefine my VMs, am I right?
>>
>> Problems come when I want to use custom 1.2.0 daemon. If I execute "sudo
>> service libvirt-bin stop" followed by "./daemon/libvirtd -d", then custom
>> virsh gives me this error:
>>
>> /error: failed to connect to the hypervisor//
>> //error: no valid connection//
>> //error: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such
>> file or directory/
>>
> You need to run the daemon as root if you want it to listen on
> /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
Got it. Running both custom 1.2.0 daemon and virsh tool as root works
like a charm. :-)

>> And I need to kill custom daemon and restart 1.1.1 libvirtd to recover from
>> this. Any advice?
>>
>> Finally (sorry about this large mail), there is one thing that does bother me
>> quite a lot.
>>
>> Using custom virsh, command history seems to vanish, as I press Arrow-UP and I
>> get "^[[A" in the screen, instead of last command used. Tell me, please, that
>> this is just some silly config I need to adjust... :_(
>>
> Do you have the develompent headers for readline installed?
>
> Jan

Ok, I've been missing the -dev package... When I installed it and then
made ./configure, I got 'READLINE_LIBS = -lreadline' which then enabled
the history in my custom virsh.

I don't know if this is related, but when I do a migrate command, it
turns down the password I enter, as if it's wrong written (and I trued
several times). I'll try to work through this.

Thank you for your time. :-)