[libvirt-users] First & long question

Joaquim Barrera jbarrera at ac.upc.edu
Mon Dec 16 17:50:16 UTC 2013

On 16/12/13 17:41, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 08:53 AM, Joaquim Barrera wrote:
>
> [please don't top-post on technical lists]

Sorry about that.

>> Excuse me for the duplicate anwer but I observed exactly what I was
>> telling you. I execute "sudo ./run tools/virsh" and then:
> If you are running virsh as sudo, then you must remember that virsh is
> running under root, not you.
>
>> 'connect qemu+ssh://user@IP_ADDRESS:PORT/system' and it asks me the
>> password. Everything goes right.
> Yes, for a single connection, remote password authentication over
> qemu+ssh works.
>
>> 'migrate --verbose --persistent --copy-storage-inc VM1
>> qemu+ssh://user@IP_ADDRESS:PORT/system' and it asks me the password, but
>> never gets it right. I allways get to the third attempt and get rejected.
> That's because the qemu+ssh URI has an inherent design limitation that
> it can only validate a single connection, but migration requires two
> connections.  You can try qemu+libssh:// URIs instead, which is supposed
> to resolve the authentication issues by using libssh within virsh
> instead of an external call to ssh(1) (although I haven't tried it
> myself).  Or you can set up passwordless login over ssh (such as by
> using ssh-copy-id) - but remember that you must set it up so that root
> can access user at IP_ADDRESS:PORT (since 'sudo virsh' is running as root,
> not you).

All right, I tried qemu+libssh2 but got more problems. Finally I went
for passwordless login and at some point I'll try to handle it again.

My main issue here was actually the reason why it works using standard
virsh 1.1.1 but it does not with custom compiled 1.2.0, but I guess it's
a matter of compiling options or some parameter I missed.

Thanks again!