[libvirt-users] How to Position a Network Interface in Physical PCI Slot

Thiru Murugan thirumuru11 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 18:24:43 UTC 2013

Physical Slot -
root at tchp2083 # dmidecode -t slot
~~~~~
Handle 0x0901, DMI type 9, 17 bytes
System Slot Information
        Designation: PCI-E Slot 1
        Type: x8 PCI Express
        Current Usage: In Use
        Length: Long
        ID: 1
        Characteristics:
                3.3 V is provided
                PME signal is supported
        Bus Address: 0000:07:00.0

Logical PCI Slot:
root at tchp2083 # lspci -tv
-[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation 5520 I/O Hub to ESI Port
           +-01.0-[04]----00.0  Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array G6
controllers
           +-02.0-[05]--
           +-03.0-[11-14]----00.0-[12-14]--+-02.0-[13]--+-00.0  Intel
Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
           +-09.0-[07-0a]----00.0-[08-0a]--+-02.0-[09]--+-00.0  Intel
Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
           |                               |            \-00.1  Intel
Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
           |                               \-04.0-[0a]--+-00.0  Intel
Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
           |                                            \-00.1  Intel
Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
~~~~

Equivalent Logical Slot for "Physical Slot 1 " is under domain 0x0000 ,Bus
0x00,Slot 0x09,Index[Bridge] 0x07

The Application has been hosted on VMware.
To maintain a Standard ,the Application has Defined Network Interfaces [for
LAN segregation/functions & automation]

Currently I am trying to bring the Application on KVM,and the Network
Interfaces have to be in a certain location for the Automation to work
properly.

I need to have these Network Interfaces -pci2p1,pci2p2 & pci3p1,pci3p2.

Regards
Thiru