[libvirt-users] About debugging of libvirt.

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 13:03:33 UTC 2013

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/DebugLogs

> 2. restarted the libvirtd with the changed configuration file.
> 3. ps -aux | grep libvirtd
> 4. gdb libvirtd pid
> 5. then what i have to do to find the reason for this error.

You need to hit 'c[enter]' in the gdb console (and by [enter] I mean pressing the enter key not actually typing it onto console). Then you need to run 'virsh destroy 4' in a different console so you reproduce the crash. After this, when you return do gdb you should see a stack trace. It will point to line which caused the trouble. If not, you may need to install libvirt debug infos (actual command to do this is distro specific).

Btw: you can join steps 3 and 4 into one:

  gdb -p $(pgrep libvirtd)

Once you have the stack trace and the logs, please do open a new bug against libvirt:

   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Virtualization%20Tools

and attach the stack trace and the debug logs.

Michal