[libvirt-users] shutdown a windows guest take ages..... (20- 34 minutes here)

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 09:38:37 UTC 2013

On 02/02/13 18:34, weber at zackbummfertig.de wrote:

> hi,

Hi Marko,

> i use libvirt 1.0.2 (-r1 , gentoo linux).
> when i create a vm with win7 guest, virtio nic, virtio hdd, all is
> running fine.
> but when i shutdown the windows guest, it takes somestimes 20-34 minutes
> !!!
> iotop shows me in the whole time writing with 2,xxmb/sec.
> is the complete machine "rewritten" to disk?
>
> i use disk.images on a raid6, but hey, dd shows me it can writes there
> with 26mb/sec.
>
> any ideas what causes these long shutdown times?

just a quick idea. Wasn't the machine updating? Windows 7 is pulling in
quite a lot updates during the first few boots and spends ages
installing them. This would explain the delays and constant disk writes.

Please watch the shutdown sequence of the guest to see what it's doing
at that time. After say 10 start-shutdown cycles the machine should be
up to date and shut down quickly.

> thanks for any hints,
>
> marko

Peter