[libvirt-users] How to copy snapshots of a VM to the other computer.

Jonghee Youn skyglory at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 07:13:40 UTC 2013

Currently, I've tried to move qemu VM image to a new computer.

So, I copied VM image files in /var/lib/libvirt/images, VM xml files in
/etc/libvirt/qemu, VM snapshot files in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/snapshot to
the same places at the new computer.

Everything is OK except snapshot!!

When I use "qemu-img info" for the copied VM image, I can see the snapshot
list in the result as shown below:

root at doc-scheduler:/var/lib/libvirt/images# qemu-img info VM22.img
image: VM22.img
file format: qcow2
virtual size: 10G (10737418240 bytes)
disk size: 1.7G
cluster_size: 65536
Snapshot list:
ID        TAG                 VM SIZE                DATE       VM CLOCK
1         VM22_A                 228M 2013-01-31 10:06:45   00:06:38.110

But, when I use "virsh snapshot-list " for the copied VM, the result is
empty as follows:

root at doc-scheduler:~# virsh snapshot-list VM22
 Name                 Creation Time             State

and of course, I can't revert to the snapshot.

Please let me know how I can copy my snapshots to the new machine.

Thanks.