[libvirt-users] Host information from libvirt KVM/Xen

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 23:05:50 UTC 2013

If you are primarily interested in collecting statistics, then you
might want to take a look at installing Host sFlow agents on your
hypervisors - Xen, Hyper-V and KVM are supported:

http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/

The Host sFlow agents export a superset of the metrics you would get
by polling with libvirt, and moving to a push model greatly increases
scaleability of the monitoring system:

http://blog.sflow.com/2012/08/push-vs-pull.html

You can collect the stats using tools like Ganglia and Graphite:

http://blog.sflow.com/2012/01/using-ganglia-to-monitor-virtual.html
http://blog.sflow.com/2012/01/graphite.html

On platforms including Open vSwitch, or on Hyper-V, the Host sFlow
agent can also  provide detailed visibility into inter-VM traffic by
configuring the vSwitch to export standard sFlow metrics:

http://blog.sflow.com/2010/10/sflowtrend-adds-server-performance.html
http://blog.sflow.com/2012/03/windows-server-8-beta.html

The sFlow metrics from the vSwitches are identical to those you would
get from most vendor's physical switches, giving you end-to-end
visibility:

http://blog.sflow.com/2012/09/vendor-support.html