[libvirt-users] Per-driver Disk Image Type Support

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 20:41:51 UTC 2013

On 02/25/2013 09:18 AM, Shea Levy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where can I find documentation about which formats for disk images each
> driver supports? In particular, do they all support raw disk images?

Raw is probably universally supported (although in my own experience, I
can only state that for xen, qemu, and lxc).  Other formats are driver
dependent (qemu probably supports the most formats).  There is talk
upstream on the qemu list of creating a libqblock library that would
make it easier to expose any disk format that qemu understands into an
NBD drive, so that other hypervisors need only learn NBD to get the
benefit of all sorts of underlying formats, but that's still a ways out.

It would be nice if querying hypervisor capabilities included a list of
which disk formats that hypervisor understands; but someone would have
to write patches along those lines.