[libvirt-users] VM can not start

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 22:11:42 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 01:09 AM, Qinghua Cheng wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> I have libvirt 1.0.2 downloaded and build on my RH. And I also
> downloaded qemu 1.4.0 and build on this machine.
>
> When I tried to start my VM ubuntu12, get error messages:
>
> error: Failed to start domain ubuntu12
> error: internal error Process exited while reading console log output:
>
> I have no idea what does this message mean. Could you please help point
> out what I should do next?

Have you looked in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/ubuntu12.log, to see if there
is a more details error message?  Are you sure you installed your
self-built binaries in the same place that the distro versions live, or
could there be any mismatch?  Does
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting help? (and that's a wiki,
so if you don't see your problem listed, feel free to add a page to help
others learn what you learn in this exercise)

You mentioned that your host machine is running Red Hat - have you tried
to use your Red Hat support contract for the feature that you want from
the version that the distro ships?  (Of course, installing a self-built
binary in place of distro binary puts you in unsupported territory, no
matter what distro you use...)