[libvirt-users] Libvirt daemon is not getting started

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 00:56:30 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 04:28 AM, Varun Bhatnagar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Earlier I was having libvirt-0.7.5 but now I have installed 0.9.8 version
> of libvirt now.

Is this a pre-built distro version (if so, you might want to ask your
distro for help) or from an upstream tarball (if so, why not upgrade all
the way to libvirt 1.0.1?  There may have been a fix for this issue in
the meantime).   Remember, libvirt strives for backward-compatibility,
so you can always drop in a newer libvirt where an older one used to work.

> 2013-01-16 16:43:53.406+0000: 4070: warning :
> networkAddGeneralIptablesRules:1260 : May need to update iptables package
> & kernel to support CHECKSUM rule.

This warning is worth heeding, but not mandatory to fix.

> 2013-01-16 16:43:54.704+0000: 4070: error : umlStartup:471 : cannot
> initialize inotify

This, on the other hand, is the reason that libvirtd is not starting.
Are you actually using uml?  If not, it may be easiest to rerun
./configure, but this time pass --without-uml, to disable this code.  If
you are, then you'll probably have to step through the initialization
under gdb to see why inotify isn't working.

> and I am also trying to connect to VMPlayer with the following URL but it
> is giving the following error message:
>
> virsh # connect vmplayer:///session
> error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: Failed to connect socket to
> '/usr/local/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

Yes, this error is expected when libvirtd fails to run.

I'll repeat the advice we have already given you about avoiding
disclaimers by sending from a personal account, but this time by copying
a humorous blurb first posted elsewhere
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2013-01/msg00092.html)

READ CAREFULLY.  By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licences, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges.  You further represent that you have the authority to
release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.