[libvirt-users] snapshot troubles

jurgen.depicker at let.be jurgen.depicker at let.be
Tue Jan 22 16:27:41 UTC 2013

> On 01/21/2013 03:43 PM, jurgen.depicker at let.be wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I created some snapshots, a long time ago, using the xml description
> > option, so the snapshots have a name with a space in it...
> > Really a bad choice apparently, since it seems impossible to delete
them
> > now: I cannot find how to enter the snapshot name properly due to the
> > space.  Quotes don't seem to help; escaping the space doesn't help
either.
> > Anybody knows how to solve this?
> > eg:
> > snapshot-delete DOMINO1-prealloc --snapshotname 'W2K3-virgin install'
>
> What version of libvirt are you using?  And is this within the virsh
> batch mode, or from the command line?
root at VLET3:~# virsh --version
0.8.3
(ubuntu 10.10 : I cannot upgrade it right now; I need to wait at least a
month but need to remove the snapshots since I run out of disk space...)
The error happens both on command-line and batch mode.

> > error: Domain snapshot not found: no snapshot with matching name
> > ''W2K3-virgin'
> > (-> notive also the extra ' added )
>
> That's not supposed to happen; quoting of spaces is supposed to mimic
> shell quoting, so that you can use arguments with spaces in both command
> line and batch mode.  To test:
>
> # virsh echo two  spaces
> two spaces
> # virsh echo 'two  spaces'
> two  spaces

root at VLET3:~# virsh echo two  spaces
error: unknown command: 'echo'

So, or I pray that my 20G remaining will suffice for one more month, or
maybe someone knows how to rename a snapshot, or edit some config file
where that name is configured?

I am very very sorry to see that this bug was solved in later versions...
but I really cannot upgrade that server now...

Grts, J