[libvirt-users] windows 2008 guest causing rcu_shed to emit NMI

Andrey Korolyov andrey at xdel.ru
Thu Jan 31 17:40:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:21:08AM +0300, Andrey Korolyov wrote:

>> > Single bit memory error, apparently. Try:
>> >
>> > 1. memtest86.
>> > 2. Boot with slub_debug=ZFPU kernel parameter.
>> > 3. Reproduce on different machine
>> >

>> Hi Marcelo,
>>
>> I always follow the rule - if some weird bug exists, check it on
>> ECC-enabled machine and check IPMI logs too before start complaining
>> :) I have finally managed to ``fix'' the problem, but my solution
>> seems a bit strange:
>> - I have noticed that if virtual machines started without any cgroup
>> setting they will not cause this bug under any conditions,
>> - I have thought, very wrong in my mind, that the
>> CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP should regroup the tasks without any cgroup and
>> should not touch tasks already inside any existing cpu cgroup. First
>> sight on the 200-line patch shows that the autogrouping always applies
>> to all tasks, so I tried to disable it,
>> - wild magic appears - VMs didn`t crashed host any more, even in count
>> 30+ they work fine.
>> I still don`t know what exactly triggered that and will I face it
>> again under different conditions, so my solution more likely to be a
>> patch of mud in wall of the dam, instead of proper fixing.
>>
>> There seems to be two possible origins of such error - a very very
>> hideous race condition involving cgroups and processes like qemu-kvm
>> causing frequent context switches and simple incompatibility between
>> NUMA, logic of CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP and qemu VMs already doing work
>> in the cgroup, since I have not observed this errors on single numa
>> node(mean, desktop) on relatively heavier condition.
>
> Yes, it would be important to track it down though. Enabling
> slub_debug=ZFPU kernel parameter should help.

Hi Marcelo,

I have finally beat that one. As I have mentioned before in the
off-list message, nested cgroups for vcpu/emulator threads created by
libvirt was a root cause of this problem. Today we`ve disabled
creation of cgroup deeper than qemu/vm/ level and trace didn`t showed
up under different workloads. So for libvirt itself, it may be a
feature request to create thread-based cgroups iff any element of the
VM` config requires that. As for cgroups, seems it is fatal to have
very large amount of nested elements inside cpu on qemu-kvm, or on
very large amount of threads - since I have limited core amount on
each node, I can`t prove what exactly, complicated cgroup hierarchy or
some side effects putting threads on the dedicated cgroup, caused all
this pain. And, of course, without Windows(tm) bug is very hard to
observe in the wild, since almost no synthetic test I have put on the
linux VMs is able to show it.