[libvirt-users] how to use libvirt

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 16:00:55 UTC 2013

On 01/06/2013 09:14 PM, tianwei zhang wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am just a new user to libvirt. I installed libvirt as:
>
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make

Did you mean 'sudo make install' here?

> After that I run the program in the development guide.

Which guide?  Having a URL to the guide you were following will help us
know whether we can improve that guide to make it easier to use.

> But it seems that
> the program is stuck in the function of virConnectOpenReadOnly. When I
> tried the command: virsh list --all, it is also stuck. So could anyone tell
> me what's wrong with this?

It may be easier to use a pre-built version from your distro, as that
will eliminate the possibility of user error in building your package
until you are more familiar with using libvirt.  Beyond that, you didn't
give us much to go on - it is not obvious whether libvirtd is running,
or whether you ran 'virsh' as root or as a normal user, or even what is
in the log files, so it could be a number of problems.

Does this page help? http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting